Apex is seeking an accomplished and entrepreneurial professional to expand our development capabilities.
Director of Development
Job type: Full-Time
Apex for Youth delivers possibilities to underserved Asian and immigrant youth from low-income families in New York City. Our mentoring and educational programs support young people from third to twelfth grade and provide them with the resources to become confident, college-ready, and community-minded.
Apex for Youth has experienced explosive growth over the past five years; from in 2011 serving fewer than 200 students with an operating budget below $500K to now serving over 1,300 students with a budget of $2M. In 2017, we will celebrate our 25th year of serving youth in the NYC area.
Apex is seeking an accomplished and entrepreneurial Director of Development to join our leadership team at this exciting juncture. The Director of Development will report to the Executive Director and will be responsible for proactively developing and executing the organization’s fundraising strategy. Among other things, this Director will cultivate and steward key relationships with Apex’s major donors, including individuals and institutions, as well as secure partnerships with foundations and other philanthropic partners.
- Work closely with Executive Director, Development Committee, and Board of Directors on developing and executing organization’s fundraising strategy;
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward relationships with major donors;
- Develop and implement strategies to sustain the current success, as well as future growth of Apex’s annual giving program;
- Cultivate and secure support from corporations, foundations, and other philanthropic funds with a goal of strengthening and diversifying institutional revenue sources;
- Work collaboratively with Apex’s program staff to align fundraising efforts with the organization’s strategic priorities; and
- Support the Executive Director in board leadership and cultivating new members and guiding the board on fundraising strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- A minimum of 5 years of development experience, exhibiting substantial and progressive leadership experience in fundraising;
- A successful track record in major gift strategic planning and fundraising and a history of increased responsibility;
- Experience in developing and managing a portfolio of major donors;
- Superior interpersonal, verbal, and written skills;
- Demonstrated organizational skills, strong attention to detail, and the ability to handle a multitude of tasks under deadline pressure;
- Experience using Salesforce or other donor database programs;
- Able to be adaptable in an entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment and work in a team environment as well as independently; and
- Knowledge of the NYC youth nonprofit landscape preferred.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Please send cover letter, resume, and writing sample for immediate consideration via email to email@example.com. Please indicate where you saw this posting in your cover letter. No phone calls please.